Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day #2

Yesterday was day #2.  The only thing I ate all day that was not Vegan (keep in mind that we still need to finish up our animal products) was my powdered coffee creamer, 1 tablespoon of buffalo ranch dressing for veggie dip (is actually not tasty anyways) and 1 t. kraft mayo with olive oil.

For breakfast I had soy milk on my cereal (Fiber One original), and it was the first time I'd ever had soy milk.  It was very good, but thicker than I am used to (I've been drinking skim milk for 11 years).  I have also reduced coffee to 1 cup instead of 2, and used the stevia/cane sugar instead of refined.

For lunch I tried my first juice recipe taken from Joe Cross and his awesome documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" which I watched nearly 2 years ago, and LOVED.  He highly promoted Breville brand juicers so back when I saw the movie I knew that's the kind I wanted if I got one.  There are so many juicers out there and Breville has quite a few different ones, and they can get quite expensive.  This past Christmas I finally got the "Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor" which was about $100 on Amazon.com.  Before yesterday I had only used it once for orange juice (which was amazing).  I planned to juice when I went produce shopping, and to make the following recipe:

 Mean Green Juice (2 - 12 oz. servings)
 
Ingredients
  •  1 cucumber
  • 4 celery stalks
  • 2 apples
  • 6-8 leaves kal
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger
Directions
  1. Wash all produce well
  2. Peel the lemon, optional
  3. Juice
  4. Pour over ice
  5. Enjoy!
 This was surprising tasty.  My hubby drank a serving as well, and the kids tasted it and said it was good (but I'm not sure if they were honest).  This kept me satisfied for 2 hours, so it didn't really work as a whole lunch, and I ended up having a snack before dinner (left over soup from yesterday's dinner)

Dinner was Boca burgers for the family.  I seasoned them like I would burgers.  I also put out a tray of veggies (baby carrots, red pepper, green peppers and cucumber) jumbo black olives and unsalted peanuts (which the kids had fun cracking open).

Yesterday also just happened to be my 11th wedding anniversary and the day I got pregnant for my first child.  Today is also the 11th anniversary of the day we moved into our house.  (we did things old school and didn't live together before we got married).  Since today we are having an anniversary date, I didn't feel obligated to stay home last night.  I went out with a friend and decided to drink.  I looked up ahead of time to find out if Bud Light was Vegan, and it is.  Previously my limit was 4 bottles of bud light, but since I was driving I had two 16 oz. drafts right away and a giant glass of water.  I believe since I ate so healthy yesterday that the beer really affected me.  I felt HORRIBLE all night and this morning had a headache.  So, this could be the end of alcohol consumption....I never thought I'd do that, but it's better than how I felt.  I may test out a glass of wine with dinner, but not for a long time.

Tonight is going to be very challenging.  We had a restaurant previously picked out, but I don't think the menu is going to work for me.  I may try Italian instead and see if I can get pasta with marinara, but I should probably call ahead to see if the pasta is made with eggs.  I can envision giving up going out to restaurants completely, or searching for Vegan restaurants....we'll see.  The kids are going to stay home with my in-laws, but they don't know about all of this yet.  The called to say they're bringing stuff to make tacos.  We've given the kids the green light to eat whatever, but I know we're going to probably end up telling them tonight....not sure how it's going to go.  I told my mom about it yesterday and she was very supportive, which was surprising and awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment