Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Do No Harm?

It hit me about a week into my Veganism, that a lot of Vegans like to throw around the phrase "Do no harm" so  I began to wonder what the average Vegan's stance was on abortion.  I came to find out that there are both pro-choice Vegans and anti-abortion Vegans (I have discovered that pro-choicers detest the phrase "pro-life".....a lot of people respond like, "so you're saying I am anti-life?".....I didn't make up the phrase....anyways, I now use "anti-abortion").  I have taken an anti-abortion stance ever since I was a child, and I stand firm with that, however, I would not judge a person for deciding to have one.
Someone said to me before, "but that sounds pro-choice to me"....not true...I still think abortion should be illegal.
I have read that there is debate that Vegans or Vegetarians should take an anti-abortion stance since they say they value life.  I don't think that's true.  I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I do have a problem with Vegetarians and Vegans throwing out the phrase "do no harm" or similar phrases about life when they think animals should be spared from torture and murder, but not a human fetus if the mother so chooses.
If you are now assuming that I am a conservative, you're wrong.  I'm not liberal either.  I don't claim a side because I agree and disagree with things on both sides.  I guess you could say I am a huge fan of peace, love and life.   I believe that human life, animal life, and the earth should be loved, cared for and respected.  I believe that people should be allowed to love and marry who they want.  War makes me sad, especially when innocent lives are lost.  I do believe in the death penalty, and DO NOT think you can compare a murderer to an innocent fetus or animal.  I don't know how I feel about guns.  I think murders would happen anyway if they were banned, and the thought of the government being allowed to have them, but not the average citizen doesn't sit well with me.  I do hate the fact that I live in a neighborhood where there are armed gang members walking around at all times of the day, but if buying and selling guns were outlawed...the good guys would not have them, and the bad guys would still get their hands on them.
I rarely speak out about what I believe in because I am bound to upset someone, and I HATE debates and arguments.  All of this stuff has been swirling around in my head lately, and since I have become a Vegan I have reevaluated a lot.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment