Thursday, March 14, 2013

pizza

I have been feeling pretty overwhelmed the past few days.  I feel like I need a break from food planning and prep.  I know it'll be easier when I get a recipe collection we all like that I can cycle through, but for now it's a lot of work.  My favorite part is the shopping.  I guess I'm missing the convenience of saying "Hun, I am having a bad day, can you go grab something for dinner." or being able to prepare a meal in 30 minutes, which seems nearly impossible now.  I am nowhere near giving up on this, so I'm hoping I feel better about it soon.
Yesterday I made  Quick Penne with Vegan Cream Sauce and some green beans.  I loved it, but the kids were neutral.  After dinner I went out and stopped to look around more at one of the health food stores in town.  When a sales associate asked me if she could help me I told her I needed help trying to figure out how to get more protein.  According to My Fitness Pal.com it was telling me I needed about 25% more than I was getting.  I found some Rice Protein powder (vegan), but it was $14.99 for 20 servings, and if the whole family was going to use it that would be quite an expense.  Right away when I told her we were eating Vegan she started making faces, and when I told her I had kids she asked in this whiny voice"You can't even let them have eggs?She'd already told me she used to be Vegan, so I don't understand why she was treating me like an alien from another planet.  She went into something about complete proteins...pairing up certain foods together and said other than that she couldn't help me....Okay, whatever!  Later on I looked up complete proteins and so many sources said it was a myth .  I also looked up how much protein a woman needs per day and the amount was less than what My Fitness Pal was recommending.  So, I think I am going to just keep eating my beans, nuts, seeds and veggies and not constantly worry myself to death.
Today I made a soup recipe that tasted pretty horrible.  It was hard to get the kids to eat it when I didn't care for it.  I also made my Crusty Bread recipe but I used wheat flour instead and added 2 tablespoons each of flax and sunflower seeds.  I used the original recipe to make a second loaf, cut it into cubes and put it in the freezer so I can make croutons out of it.  I could not find croutons at the grocery store (in the regular food section) that was okay for a vegan diet, so I figured I'd make my own.
Today I also planned out all of next week's meals....6 meals, 2 desserts and 3 juice recipes.  I am also going to make juice for the kids from now on instead of buying it.  They absolutely loved the apple juice I made for them.
On Saturday the hubby and I are going on a little road trip up to Ann Arbor ALONE!!  We are having a day long date and are going to hit "The Great Lake Zoological Society", Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a veg-friendly restaurant called "Hut-K".  I am really looking forward to it...especially since I don't have to cook that day! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment