Monday, March 4, 2013

The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue Documentary

I just finished watching The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue on Netflix.  It was recommended to me by a family member.  I really learned a lot I didn't know, and mistakes I've already made in product choices.  The Engine 2 Diet is basically the whole foods/plant based diet I've been adapting.  It is also much easier than saying "Vegan" which has stigmas attached to it.  Here are the notes I took based on the little tips that appeared on the screen.

-There are many milk substitutes: Soy, Rice, Oat, Hemp, Hazelnut and Almond

-Olive Oil is not the best thing to be eating, which is a huge misconception.  Oil or butter substitutes include: Apple Sauce, Banana Puree, Silken soft tofu, Pumpkin Puree, Plain Soy Yogurt

-Nutritional Yeast can be a great cheese and butter substitute.

-Muscle/Flesh from any source contains varying amounts of disease promoting fat, cholesterol and protein

-Dairy substitutes such as sour cream, cheese flavored shreds and butter still have large amounts of fat and should be used sparingly or avoided.  (Unfortunately this includes quite a few products I have recently purchased such as Earth Balance butter, Tofutti Sour Cream and Daiya cheese shreds.)

-When choosing a nut butter, the only ingredient listed should be roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews

-Beans are great sources of not only protein, but also fiber, iron and calcium

-When choosing products which contain sodium, you should keep the sodium to a 1:1 ratio with the number of calories per serving.  For example if a can of beans has 150 calories per serving, you shouldn't get one with more than 150 mg of sodium per serving

-When choosing oats, go with "Old Fashioned" not  "Quick" oats.  Oats help to "scrub" out cholesterol.

-When you cut open an avocado keep the pit with the chunks/slices/guacamole to prevent it from going brown (GENIUS!)

There are a few recipes he also had on the show I am going to test out including sweet potato lasagna, banana "ice cream", and more.  I will post these in the future if I try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment