Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Vegan Stromboli

"I was torn between making Calzones and Stromboli, but I wanted to make something that looked impressive and I feel I did a pretty good job.  I found the pizza dough recipe HERE and used the fancy method for folding the dough up from HERE.  Obviously, the recipe can be made Vegan or not by the filling choices, since the dough is Vegan.  I made 1 1/2 times the original dough recipe and it made three large stromboli, which would feed 6 people."


DOUGH INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3 1/2 t. active dry yeast
1 1/2  T. sugar
3 t. salt
3 T. olive oil
4 1/2 c. flour

Filling:

1/2 c. pizza sauce (plus another 1-2 cups for dipping)
12 oz. Vegan mozzarella-style cheese (I used Daiya brand)
your favorite pizza toppings (I used Vegan peperoni, black olives and yellow peppers)
olive oil
DIRECTIONS:

In large mixing bowl stir yeast and sugar into water.  Let "proof" for 5-10 minutes or until foamy/creamy.  Stir in salt and olive oil, Add flour one cup at a time, and stir until tacky, but doesn't stick to your hands.  (best to use a stand mixer with a dough hook if you have it).  Next, knead dough for six minutes.  Oil bowl and place dough back in, cover with a towel and place in oven (turned off) with light on for 1-2 hours.  (I used quick-rise yeast so it only took 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Divide dough in thirds and roll out each third into a large rectangle.  Use instructions HERE to cut strips along the long sides of each rectangle.  Place 1/3 of the 1/2 cup of pizza sauce in the center of each rectangle along with 4 oz. (1/3) of the cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.  Fold up according to directions.  Place strombolis on large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Brush tops with olive oil (and I also sprinkled with an Italian spice blend).  Bake for 20 minutes.  Serve in slices with pizza sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment